Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ariana Huffington

Lets just bypass how late she was. I thought Arianna Huffington was such an inspiring person. Given how hard hitting her columns are, I was surprised by how sweet she came across. To be honest I was expecting Huffington to be very matter of fact, but it seemed like she was generally pleased to be here and answer our questions. For me, coming from Australia means I don't always have the opportunity of meet such influential people, so it was an amazing experience. The intimate setting and being able to ask her questions one on one was a fantastic opportunity.

So all the praise aside, lets discuss some of the things she spoke about. With so much criticism from traditional media outlets, I really appreciated Huffington's optimism for newspapers. Rather than saying they are doomed, Huffington stressed that journalism will only become stronger with new and old media coming together, sharing their best qualities. While online offers amazing opportunities for multimedia, reach and audience participation, traditional media can offer experience with investigative reporting and other news values.

I really agree with Huffington's answer to the question about whether balance is important. She said not all stories are balanced, and giving equal space to two unequal sides actually skews facts and mislead the audience. I do believe in objectivity in hard news, and I stress the difference between it and balance, I see objectivity as trying to keep your opinion out, but I thought her point that "facts are sacred" was spot on for opinion pieces.

I also thought it was great how Huffington talked about how young journalists are succeeding because of their skills online. It is extremely daunting knowing I will be entering the work force in a few months, so it's nice to know that I still have things to offer when competing with experienced journalists.

But most of all, just hearing and seeing Huffington's passion was of most value. And I'll end on a quote from her, "failure is not the opposite to success. It's the stepping stone to success" - a line I think young journalists should remind themselves of.

No comments:

Post a Comment